Friday, January 25, 2013

Slow Simmer

It's been overcast and rainy the last couple days here in Vegas, which is not normal, so the kids haven't gone outside to play as much.  Which means that they drive me crazy with the "I'm bored" talk and being whinny.  The funny thing about this is that my Bible study this morning was over James 1:19-21
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.  Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
So, as I'm reading these verses and working on my study and it is talking about how harmful our anger can be and in what circumstances we become angry the most; guess who starts not cleaning up what they are supposed to?  Starts whining because they want to go outside?  Starts asking me why they have to pick up things they didn't get out?  Yep, I didn't even get past the first page of my workbook and God was already saying to me, "Slow down."  Since He hit me that fast, I'm guessing He is saying I need to work on this asap! 
Here is a meal that is a slow simmer all day to help with that "slowing" we all need to do.  Whether it is with slow to speak so we can listen better or, like me, slow to become angry; we all need to slow down sometimes.  Or maybe its just slowing down our day so we can think about what is good and to be thankful.  Fast isn't always better.
This is called Ham Pot Pie, but the funny part about this pot pie is that it doesn't have a crust or vegetables or a creamy sauce in it.  This is more of soup.  The best part of this soup is the homemade square noodles.  Yum!
 
Ham Pot Pie
Start by taking a ham bone or ham hawk and putting it into a stockpot and filling with water to cover the bone.  I always save my ham bone from my Christmas ham and put it and the juice/broth from the pan into a freezer bag and freeze it until I'm ready to make this.  Let this simmer for at least 4 hours over medium to low heat.  Taste it every so often to season as needed.  You can add in Ham soup base to add flavor too. 
While that is started on the stove make your noodles.
Homemade Noodles
1. Mix together: 2 1/3 cups flour & 1/2 tsp salt
2. Make a mound on the counter with a well in the center
3. In a bowl lightly beat: 2 eggs, 1/3 cup water &1 tsp oil

My Noodles drying

4. Pour egg mixture into the well of flour mixture and begin to knead together.  (Sorry I didn't take a picture of this, I think I was too excited with what I was making.)
5. Once combined, roll out dough to desired thickness and cut into squares.
6. Let dry on cooling racks
 
Once soup has simmered, has good flavor and the meat is completely cleaned off the bone, remove the bone from pot.  Add in your noodles and let cook about 15 minutes or until soft and cooked through. 

My soup simmering.  Smells delicious!




I hope  you like this as much as I do!  This is, once again, something my mom used to make when I was kid.  It is one of my favorites.  I usually only make it once a year sometime after Christmas when I have a good bone.  I hope you enjoy it and have fun with your noodles.


Finished soup ready to devour!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment