Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Frito Pie

I don't know about you, but my kids all go through different picky stages with food.  I feel like I can never keep up.  Right when I think I have them figured out, they decide they don't like that kind of cheese anymore.  Ugh!  It gets so frustrating, and sometimes just plain annoying!  We are proponents of either you eat what you're given for dinner or you don't eat again until breakfast.  Call it harsh if you want, but we gotta draw a line somewhere.  If it's a dinner I know they won't eat, then I'll make them something else that they will.  
So, to my surprise, the other night I tried a new recipe, and guess what?  Everyone liked it!  Score!  I made Frito Pie.  It was different, easy and, like I said, everyone liked it!  It's got this simple homemade chili that is seasoned with taco seasoning.  I used my own taco seasoning mix.  I'm a jar saver and like to make my own mixes when I can.  :)  Then the chili is topped with sour cream, Frito chips and cheese.  How can that not be good, right? 
This would be a perfect thing to take to a pot-luck, make for game day or, like I did, for dinner for something new.

Frito Pie
(From Sweet Treats and More)
I used 1/2 the can of tomato sauce
Ingredients
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 can (16 oz) chili beans
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
1 envelope low sodium taco seasoning (I used my taco seasoning, recipe below)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2% fat kind)
Here's the cheesy chili part
3 1/2 cups corn chips (Frito's) (I used the big scoops, but either one's would work)
1 1/4 cup fat free sour cream
 
Instructions
Cook ground beef until meat is browned; drain. Stir in beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, taco seasoning mix and 1/4 c. of cheese. Sprinkle 1 cup corn chips in bottom (I used closer to 2 cups of chips on the bottom) of 8x8 baking dish or 9x13 dish. Cover with chili. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Spread sour cream over chili. Top with remaining corn chips and cheese. Bake 4-5 minutes longer.
 
Taco Seasoning
 
1 cup minced dry onion
1/2 cup chili powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
One thing I've learned from the Pioneer Woman is to buy better
cheese by the block and grate it myself.  So much better!
1/4 cup cumin
2 T oregano
2 T salt
2-3 T red pepper flake (optional)
1 T paprika (optional)
 
Mix all together and store in an air tight container or jar.  Use 2-3 T in place of 1 envelope of taco seasoning as needed. 
*Note: When making seasoned ground beef for tacos, you may want to sprinkle in 1 T of flour or cornstarch to help thicken it a bit.


Ready to go in the oven!


I couldn't wait to dish it out that I forgot to take a picture
before I made some plates.  :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment