Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cha-Cha-Cha-Chia!

Alright, am I the only one that sings that commercial jingle every time you see a recipe for Chia Pudding?  I mean, come on, it was one of those huge novelties things from childhood.  Who here had Chia Pet?  I didn't, but I always wanted one to try.  I guess now is my chance!  Cha-cha-cha-chia!  Oh that makes me smile from the inside out.  :)  Guess what?  They're even still around!  Everything from a hippo to Sponge Bob.  Did you know they even make those things in the form of our president?  And not just in one style either.  No, they have him "happy" and "determined."  Now that's funny!!  Just me?  Oh well, at least I amuse myself.  Ha ha! 
Ok, anyways, back to where I was going with this.  So chia seeds are the new big health thing it seems anymore.  Add them to your smoothie, oatmeal, yogurt or anything else for that matter.  Similar to flax seeds in nutritional value.  Loaded with Fiber, Omega 3's and Protein, can't go wrong I guess.
I kept seeing recipes for Chia Pudding and pictures of this odd looking stuff.  I was intrigued and wanted to try it.  On a recent trip in Trader Joe's I saw a bag of them and there, right on the back of the bag, was a recipe for Chia Pudding.  I thought I'd give it whirl and still looked up few variations of Chia Pudding on Pinterest.  One that caught my eye was for Chocolate Coconut Chia Pudding.
So here is my take on the stuff...  It is easy enough to mix up to have a snack or treat.  The look of it is so weird.  It looks like caviar in cream almost.  Gross.  The taste isn't bad, but the texture for me was off putting.  I didn't really care for it much.  Be your own judge.  Try for yourself.  Maybe you'll love this healthy treat.  Me, not so much.

Yes, I used a recycled pickle jar, but it worked
great!  Look at that funky stuff!
Chia Pudding

In a jar combine:
1/4 cup Chia Seeds
1 cup coconut or almond milk
1/4 cup or less of honey or sweetener of you liking.
Add in flavoring, fruit or cocoa. 
Cover, shake to combine and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
Chocolate Coconut Chia Pudding

No comments:

Post a Comment