Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sweet & Sour Chicken

Who doesn't like Chinese take-out?  I do!  However, it's a luxury for us.  Actually, it's our tradition for Christmas Eve.  I love good Chinese food though.  I always feel intimidated to make it at home for fear that I'll be disappointed with it not turning out as good as how the professionals make it.  Besides my Fried Rice, I don't usually try to imitate it. 
But.  I was running out of ideas for dinner and really wanting to try something new.  Something that would be easy, fast, GF and tasty.  I found this on my favorite place, Pinterest, and read the reviews and they all said great things about this recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken by Made It. Ate It. Loved It.  I have to say, I was little skeptical of making a Chinese dish that called for ketchup, but I couldn't not try it after I read the comments everyone left.  This recipe called for all things that I usually have in my pantry and fridge, was put together in about half an hour and was delicious!  We ate it all up!  Even my kids!  You know what I say to that?  Winner winner chicken dinner! 

Sweet and Sour Chicken
From Made It. Ate It. Loved It.

Chicken Breading:
  3-5 chicken breast
salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil


Rinse chicken, trim off fat or extras and then cut into 1 inch cubes. season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken into cornstarch and coat all the way and then into eggs. Heat oil in large skillet. Cook chicken until browned. (Your chicken will look slightly like its coated in browned scrambled eggs.  Not really attractive.  But I promise it will crisp up when you put it in the oven!)  Place in baking dish. 3 chicken breasts can be in a 9x9 but 5 chicken breasts fits better in a 9x13.  (I just kept my chicken in the same skillet I browned it in and cooked it in that.  Worked great and I didn't have to dirty another dish!)


Sauce:
 3/4 cups white sugar
4 Tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Whisk until smooth. Then pour evenly over chicken. Turn chicken so the sauce gets on both sides and then put in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn chicken and then cook for 15 more minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment