Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sunbutter Bread

Wow.  It has definitely been a challenge getting back into the swing of things since being back home.  We are in the second week of school and now all the extra activities are beginning too.  Not to mention all the dentist appointments, birthday parties, my husbands obsession with racquetball and just life.  AH!  But in a good way.  :)  How's life going for you?  The school year is underway and here we go!
I have, however, gotten to try some really good recipes already though and I cannot wait to start sharing them with you all.  This one I've been wanting to try since before summer, but just never got around to it.  It is for Sunbutter Bread from The Paleo Mama.  I love her!  She is paleo, but is realistic with it, especially with kids. 
I'm always intrigued when I see recipes for "breads" that are gluten free, let alone paleo.  It just doesn't seem like it should be possible.  I see a lot of mentions of Sunbutter in a lot of paleo blogs and recipes and just around.  So I bought a jar at Trader Joe's awhile back and have been anxious to try it.  It is exactly what I says.  It tastes just like sun flower seeds, but in a "peanut butter" form.  Chances are if you don't like sunflower seeds you won't like sunbutter.  For me, I liked it, but it definitely won't take the place of my peanut butter or other nut butters anytime soon. 
All that being said, this was a really easy and simple way of making decent bread.  The first original recipe called for natural peanut or nut butter, but I made it with the sunbutter like Paleo Mama did.  Which means that my bread turned green.  Don't freak when this happens to you!  That is normal because of the chlorogenic acid found in sunflower seeds.  It doesn't mean that it is bad, it simply means that your kids will have another reason to try it!  Mine turned more and more green with time.  Try it this way for something different or try it with nut butter.  I added a little bit of honey instead of the stevia, next time I might add a bit more honey.

 

Sunbutter Bread
From The Paleo Mama
Ingredients:
1 cup Sunbutter or other natural nut butter of choice
3 eggs
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 servings Stevia (I used 2 T honey, next time I'd use a little more)
Directions:
  1. Blend all ingredients in large bowl until smooth, about 1 minute.
  2. Pour into a loaf pan lined with foil for easy removal.  I used a 8.5X 4.5.  This makes the bread rise a little higher.
  3. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (Times will vary based on different ovens.  Just don’t over bake or it will be dry).
  4. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment