Saturday, February 15, 2014

Butternut Squash Soup with Thanksgiving Meatballs

Who doesn't like the smell of Thanksgiving dinner cooking?  It's one of those smells that just warms your heart.  I'd been wanting to try a Butternut Squash soup for a while, but knew I never could make it when my husband was around.  He detests squash of any kind and sweet potatoes too.  Usually whenever he's gone I make all those things for myself.  My kids like some of it, but not all.  But I just don't care sometimes.  The first week he was gone I was trying to do a good cleanse and get sugars out.  This was a great recipe to do that with.  I made the soup and meatballs and ate it for lunch throughout the week.  I froze half of it to pull out later. 
I had found a few different recipes for this kind of soup, but didn't know where to start.  Then I was checking out recipes from Change of Pace and found her favorite along with her recipe for Thanksgiving Meatballs.  Sounded good to me and like a perfect combo.  So I gave it a try!  Both are delicious!  The meatballs have the perfect flavor and taste to get you through the year until next Thanksgiving and the soup had the perfect flavor to go with them.  Not to mention tasting good too.  I hope you like it as much as I did.  Use it as a go-to lunch or a nice hot dinner on a cold night. 

(From Real Simple)

Soup-A-Simmering
Ingredients
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, toss the squash with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 2 teaspoons of the salt, and the pepper. Place the squash on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in oven for 15 minutes. Turn the cubes over and continue roasting for 15 minutes or until they are caramelized; set aside.
  2. In a Dutch oven or a large stockpot, heat the butter and the remaining oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and sage and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are translucent and tender, 10 minutes. Add the squash, broth, and the remaining salt and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the liquid is flavorful. Remove from heat.
  3. Using a blender or a food processor, blend the soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pot and keep warm.



Paleo Thanksgiving Meatballs(this made a dozen for me)

1lb ground turkey (I used 94% lean)
1/4 cup almond flour
1 egg beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grass fed butter
1/4 cup celery finely diced
1/2 cup onion finely diced
1 garlic clove finely diced
1 teaspoon dried sage

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan.  Add the onions and celery.  Cook until onions are translucent and everything is soft.  Add the sage and garlic.  Cook until fragrant.

While everything is cooking put the turkey, almond flour, egg, and salt in a large bowl.  When the onion mixture is done add it to the turkey mixture.  Mix thoroughly.

Roll into balls and bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165 degrees.


The perfect little combo!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment