Monday, April 28, 2014

Asian Meatballs

So, here we are in England and for whatever reason, I'm really craving Asian food.  No clue why.  Doesn't make sense, I know, but that's all I want.  I thought I'd get creative and make some of my own.  With having limited groceries and not wanting to head to the store, I made with what I had on hand.  I searched Pinterest and found I was missing a few things that most recipes called for, so this is what I came up with.  You know what?  They were delicious!  

Asian Meatballs
Makes approx. 18-20 meatballs
Mix thoroughly together:
1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, grated
1 clove garlic, grated or minced
1 T soy sauce
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs or almond flour
1/4 tsp black pepper
Spoon into balls and place on cookie sheet, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil.  Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes.

Sweet Soy Sauce
While meatballs are cooking, stir together in a small pot on medium heat:
2 T oil
1/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1-2 garlic cloves, grated
a few shakes of red pepper flake
Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes and taste to see if you need to more salty soy or more sweet sugar to your liking and add accordingly.
Once meatballs are done baking add to sauce and let simmer for 5 minutes.  Drizzle with a little bit of honey for some added flavor and sweetness, if desired.  
Serve over rice.  Enjoy!
*Meatballs can easily be doubled with the same amount of sauce.  

Yummy balls of deliciousness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment